The library values the specialty expertise each Union College faculty member contributes to our collection. Faculty members are strongly encouraged to submit requests and recommendations for books, periodicals, and other items collected by the library which support the curriculum and current faculty research.
Guidelines for Recommending Materials
Submit a request online
- Be familiary with the content of the Collection Development Policy.
- Selections should be current and contribute to a balanced collection.
- Submit all requests to department chairs for approval.
- Approved book and audiovisual requests should be sent to the technical services librarian, Karla Britain.
- Recommendations for periodicals should be forwarded to the library director, Sabrina Riley.
- Requests may be submitted online, via e-mail, or on paper. They must include title, ISBN (books), ISSN (periodicals), publisher or producer (audiovisual), and estimated list price. Marked up catalogs and brochures are welcome.
- The library retains the right to make final decisions regarding the purchase of all items intended for the collection.
Resources for Collection Development
- Books in Print
- Reviews in professional journals
- Choice - reviews of scholarly/academic books and media. See web exclusive section for free online content. For other content see the print edition in the library's current periodical section.
- Booklist - reviews of popular works. See the library's current periodical section for print edition. Reviews also available on the website.
- Library Journal - reviews of popular works. See the library's current periodical section for print editions. Reviews also available on the website.
- Publisher brochures and catalogs
Tips and Strategies for Collection Development
- This is an undergraduate library. Books and periodicals should be appropriate for this academic level. Published reviews often include the recommended audience.
- Save time by checking the Library Catalog to see if we already have an item.
- Glean from your course syllabi. Have the library purchase any recommended or supplemental books or videos.
- Always keep an eye out for possible selections, whether reading a journal, watching television, or visiting a bookstore.
- Have fun shopping!