Union College Library expects to provide most of the research materials needed by its students and faculty. Its collections and resources should adequately meet the needs of undergraduate students. In the event that a student or faculty member needs something not currently available in the Library, the Library will borrow this item from another library on behalf of the user within the guidelines of the following policy.
1. Before making an interlibrary loan (ILL) request, check with other Lincoln area libraries.
- Your Union College (UC) identification card enables you to borrow materials from other post secondary school libraries in Nebraska.
- Going to another local library to pick up an item is generally faster than ILL which averages delivery in 7-10 days.
- Lincoln City Libraries grants borrowing privileges to UC students.
2. The following items may not be obtained through ILL:
- Multimedia / audiovisual
- Leisure reading
- Entire issues of periodicals (must request specific articles)
3. To be eligible for ILL service you must:
- Be a student, faculty member, or staff member of Union College.
- Verify that the item is not available in the Union College Library
- Make a reasonable effort to locate the item in another local library. If item is available at Lincoln City Libraries or UNL, you will be asked to go there to borrow it. Borrowing directly from these institutions may save you time and money.
- Not make requests on behalf of people not attending or working for Union College.
4. Any charges incurred by the Library in obtaining the material will be passed on to the student, faculty member, or staff. Some departments may choose to cover ILL costs for their students, faculty, and staff. Previous arrangements must be made.
5. To make a request, please see our ILL Procedure.