Your career starts here
Successful Union College alumni around the globe—doctors and hospital presidents, teachers and preachers, accountants and performers—whatever their profession, had the help of the Career Center in achieving their goals. We offer career counseling, graduate school search assistance, testing services, internship and student employment placement ... and much more. Stop by and see us sometime. We're located on the lower level of the atrium in the Don Love Building.
Are you a maximizer? Full of WOO? The StrengthsFinder will tell you (and also explain what those terms mean). The survey was developed by the Gallup Organization here in Lincoln to help you identify your top five strengths and explain how to build on them. This will aid in choosing a major and a career, but also has more immediate uses, such as finding what roles you best play when working on a group assignment.
Strong Interest Inventory
Why work every day for the rest of your life when you can do something you love? The Strong Interest Inventory will help you better understand your interests, preferences and personal styles and will suggest courses and career paths that you will likely find rewarding and enjoyable. If you study something you love, you are much more likely to graduate and stick with your career down the road.
Focus 2 career guide
Much like the Strong Interest Inventory, the Focus 2 online career guide can help you understand your skills and passions and select a course of study. The sooner you choose a major and career path, the more likely you are to get through college in four years—even if it isn’t the major you graduate with.
Each of these assessments is an in-depth inventory, so take your time and really think about the answers to the questions. Taking a little time now can save a lot of time (and your parents’ money) later.
If you've never done the Focus 2, click on the link Focus 2 and create a new account for yourself. The access code for Union College is: warriors.
If you’ve taken all the tests and still can’t decide on a major or career path, Stan Hardt, Union’s career guidance counselor, can help. After evaluating the reports from your assessments, he will discuss career choices and provide guidance in both your professional and personal life.
To give you a glimpse into the working world, the Career Center hosts a career fair each year. Take the opportunity to network with a variety of people, practice talking with employers, learn about different companies and find an internship or job.
Spend a day with a pro
The Career Center can arrange for you to spend time on the job with someone who works in that field. We have a large database of local professionals who will show you the ropes so you can decide if the profession is right for you.
Get your résumé noticed
When applying for most jobs, your résumé and cover letter will be the first impression for a prospective employer, so make it a good one. The Career Center staff can review your résumé and cover letter to help you use proper style, accentuate the positive and get noticed by your future boss.
- The SAT is offered on Sunday after the regular test dates. Our test center number is 28180, and a clergyman's letter is required. Application forms are available at most high schools and academies. They must be mailed to SAT in New Jersey by the deadline dates. Late fees apply. Visit CollegeBoard for more information. For free help studying for this exam, visit http://www.studyguidezone.com.
- The ACT is offered six times a year on national testing dates. Our test center number is 024801, and a clergyman's letter is required with the application for our Sunday testing. Application forms are available at most high schools and academies and must be mailed to ACT in Iowa by the deadline dates. Late deadline fees apply. For more information, visit www.actstudent.org. For free help studying for this test, visit http://www.studyguidezone.com.
- The ACT Residual test is offered on registration day of first and second semester. Alternate dates may be scheduled at the Career Center. Testing accommodations can also be made through our Teaching Learning Center by calling 402.486.2506. Students with professionally diagnosed disabilities should contact the Teaching Learning Center for testing accommodations.
Graduate School Entrance
Kaplan Test Preparation: www.kaptest.com
Study guides - available at the Career Center for checkout or atwww.studyguidezone.com
- GRE General Test- Arrange testing at the Prometric Testing Center. The Testing Center is located at 5715 South 34th Street, Suite 300, Lincoln, NE 68506. You may register online, by phone (402.423.8833) or in person. The center is open Monday-Thursday from 9-6pm, and Friday from 9-2pm. The fee for testing is $160 and the test is offered any time.
- GRE Subject Tests - 18099 - Arrange testing at the Career Center with advance notice of the scheduled testing date. Testing is available three times a year, in October, November and April. Generally, this test is taken on a Saturday, but we offer testing on Monday. To see these instructions, go to the ETS website.
- GMAT -Arrange testing at the Prometric Testing Center (information above). This test is offered year-round. The fee for the test is $250. To register, go online.
- LSAT - Test Center 8041 - Arrange testing at the Career Center with advance notice of the scheduled testing date. Testing is available at this site three times a year (October, December and February). A clergyman's letter (available at the Career Center) is required for Monday testing. The fee for testing is $139. Registration may be completed online.
- MCAT - Test Center 9663 - Arrange for testing at the Prometric Testing Center (information above). Testing is offered on multiple dates from January to September. The cost of the test is $235. Register online.
- DAT - For more information, go to the DAT website.
Contact Career Center
For more information about any of the services listed above, contact the Career Center:
Call: 402.486.2540 | Email: careerassistant [at] ucollege [dot] edu
For questions unrelated to the Career Center, please use this form instead.