Biography of Chris Blake
I'm an activist for communication, especially listening--to God, to others, to ourselves.
- College Writing I
- Creative Writing
- Magazine Article Writing
- Senior Seminar
- Conflict and Peacemaking
- Critiquing Film
- Public Speaking
- Interpersonal Communication
- B.A. 1977, California State Polytechnic University--San Luis Obispo
- M.A. 1980, Pacific Union College, Angwin, California
- Sponsor of Union College chapter of Amnesty/Tiny Hands International
- Co-sponsor of Squirreldance Film Festival
- Chair of Interfaith Peacemaking Coalition (of Lincoln)
I taught high school for five years, was an editor/writer with Concerned Communications for three years, and served as the editor of Insight Magazine for eight years. In 1993 (last millennium), I began teaching at Union College.
- Created (in 1977) and wrote Bodywise, a children's health magazine
- Wrote seminars Learning to Love and Eight Days to Resolving Stress
- Edited Insight's Most Unforgettable Stories
- Edited A Reason to Believe
- Helped start Insight/Out magazine, Giraffe News, and Expressions of Jesus prints
- Wrote Searching for a God to Love
- Co-wrote with my wife, Yolanda, Reinvent Your Sabbath School
- Helped create The Front Porch magazine
- Wrote Swimming Against the Current
- Collaborated with student on her book Honestly, I'm Struggling
- Wrote CREATION Health Bible Program
- Wrote A Sanctuary for Conversation: Listening, Loving, Learning
- Have spoken in scores of venues from Norway to Great Britain to Australia to Canada.
- Hundreds of magazine articles published
- Associated Church Press national award (first place) for feature writing
- Associated Church Press national award (first place) for humor
- Evangelical Press Association national award (second place) for editorial writing
- Five Associated Church Press national awards for editing
- Zapara Excellence in Teaching Award
- Teacher of the Year at Union College
- Past president of Adventist English Association
I've finished a film script and two more books are currently in the works.
Interpersonal communications, human rights, Christianity and culture, writing and editing, Jesus.
Hobbies include mountain biking over the precipitous peaks of Lincoln, disc golfing, writing, speaking, and incorrigible punnery (do not incorrige).
Nathan and his wife, Andrea, live in Des Moines, Iowa. He's an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Iowa. Andrea is a hospice nurse practitioner. Both are alumni of Union College and Yale University. They have two brilliant children, Campbell and Judah.
Geoffrey and his wife, Natalie, live in San Francisco, California. Geoff is a pastor who promotes justice as a faith-based community organizer with Bend the Arc. Natalie is completing her Ph. D. in psychology at Alliant International University, currently working at University of San Francisco. Both are alumni of La Sierra University and Andrews University.
I count myself as the most blessed of parents and grandparents.
Yolanda and I were married in 1976. She has taught since 1993 in Lincoln Public Schools after teaching 10 years in Adventist schools. She completed a post-graduate degree in administration from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and is teaching second graders at Beattie Elementary.