Biography of Edward Allen
Dr. Allen teaches Jesus and the Gospels, World Religions, Personal Witnessing, The History of the Christian Church, The History of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and Prophetic Guidance in the Division of Religion.
Dr. Allen graduated with a bachelor's from La Sierra University in 1975. He completed a Master of Divinity degree at Andrews University in 1979 and finished a Doctor of Ministry degree from Fuller Theological Seminary in 1991. He received a Ph.D. degree from Fuller Theological Seminary in 2008.
Dr. Allen plays the cello in the Golden Cords String Quartet and coordinates its activities.
Dr. Allen pastored in Northern California from 1976 to 1990. After spending three years at the Hong Kong Adventist Hospital Church in Hong Kong, he pastored in Southern California until 2005.
- "The Puritan Legacy of Sabbatarianism," Ministry, 67 (March 1994)
- "Was Karlstadt a Proto-Sabbatarian?" Andrews University Seminary Studies, 44 (Spring 2006)
- Doctor of Ministry dissertation: "Rest as a Spiritual Discipline; The Meaning and Manner of Sabbath Observance," Fuller Theological Seminary, 1991.
- Doctor of Philosophy dissertation: "Nicholas Bownde and the Context of Sunday Sabbatarianism," Fuller Theological Seminary, 2008.
Nov. 2002 Presentation to the Adventist Society for Religious Studies: "Conversation Across Generations, Genders and Cultures: A Family Dialogue."
Nov. 2003 Presentation to the Adventist Society for Religious Studies: “Adventist Eschatology Seen From the Perspective of Centered Sets.”
Jan. 2004 Presentation at the Pasadena Mennonite Church: “Karlstadt and the Anabaptists.”
Nov. 2004 Presentation to the Adventist Society for Religious Studies: “Approaches to Conversion in a Postmodern Context,” for the Pastoral Ministry section.
Nov. 2009 Presentation to the Adventist Society for Religious Studies: “Sabbath, Healing, and Poverty in Historical Perspective.”
Nov. 2009 Presentation to the Consultation on the Sabbath, Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting: “Sabbath Traditions in the Gospel of John.”
Oct. 2010 Presentation at a workshop on “Retention in Honors” at the National Collegiate Honors Society Convention.
Nov. 2010 Paper read for the Sabbath Consultation at the Society of Biblical Literature: “The Sabbath and her Sisters: Circumcision, Sacrifice, Ceremony, and Sabbath in Justin’s Dialogue with Trypho.”
Nov. 2012 Paper read for the Sabbath Consultation at the Society of Biblical Literature: "The Sabbath and the Age to Come in the Mishnah, Philo, and Augustine."
Dr. Allen has three daughters.
- Elizabeth Johnston is a Medical Doctor
- Rebecca Johnston works for the Yukon Territorial Government in Canada.
- Sarah Allen is a resident at Loma Linda University Medical Center.
Dr. Allen's wife, Madalyn, has a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Fuller Theological Seminary.