Biography of Gillian Connors
Gillian Connors began employment at the Union College Library in mid-2011, following the completion of her Masters in Library and Information Studies at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada that same year. As techncial services librarian, Connors' is in charge of all cataloging and acquisitions.
As the cataloging librarian, she selects, edits, and updates existing bibliographic records and creates new bibliographic records for the Union College Library collection and the Lincoln Lancaster County Genealogical Society collection using the OCLC WorldShare Management System (WMS) integrated library system. WMS was adopted in mid-2012, and prior to that Connors completed all her cataloging using the SiriDynix Workflows integrated library system. Other cataloging duties include the organization and supervision of all item processing, repair, and weeding of the library collection. She also collects and distributes all gift donations for the library collection.
As aquisitions librarian, Connors finds and orders all books, DVDs, audiobooks, CDs, and processing and archival supplies from multiple vendors. She has a multi-thousand dollar budget to spend within the academic year, which she accomplishs through the soliciation of collection development across campus including sending budget reports to faculty heads.
Connors promotes new acquisitions to the library by creating physical and virtual book displays. A new books display is updated every week on the second floor, and a themed bulletin board display to support campus academics or grants is updated every month on the first floor and online on the Library's Pinterest account. This is further promoted on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and through the use of QR codes.
Gillian serves as liasion librarian the Teaching Learning Center, the Career Center, the La Sierra Graduate Education program, and the division of Human Development: Psychology, Education, Sociology and Social Work departments. As liasion she performs all collection development, reference asssistance, and maintainence of online subject guides for these departments.
Finally Connors contributes to reference assistance to students and staff through the Research Assitance Program (RAP) and offers library instruction in freshman and sophomore courses. She also seeks ways to bring innovation and creativity to the library and has enjoyed coordinating the past two library fairs including creating a QR Code Scavenger hunt to link online and physical resources including our digital archives
Masters of Library and Information Studies, University of Alberta, 2011
Bachelors of Art in English (French Minor), Canadian University College, 2007
English 931: The Victorian Novel, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, August 2013-Current
Novel Next Draft Workshop, 2012 Iowa Summer Writing Festival, University of Iowa, 2012
Understanding and Applying Dewey Decimal Classification, American Library Association, 2012
Academic and Community Service
- Communications Secretary, Faculty Senate Executive Committee, Union College (UC), 2013-Present
- Grant Reviewer, College & University Grants Committee, Nebraska Library Association, 2012-Present
- Recording Secretary, Cataloger's Group, Nebraska Independent College Library Consortium, 2012-2013 (Member from 2011)
- Library Fair & Book Display Coordinator, Bridging Cultures: Muslims Journeys Planning Committee, UC, 2012-Present
- Library Calling Champion, Quest for Calling Grant, UC, 2013-Present
- Member, Technical Services Roundtable (TSRT), Nebraska Library Association, 2012-Present
- Member, Colloquium Committee, UC, 2012-Present
- Member, Faculty Instructional Technology Subcommittee (FITS), UC, 2013-Present
- Member, Wellness Committee, UC, 2013-Present
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), 2012-Present
- Nebraska Library Association (NLA), 2011-Present
- Association of Seventh-Day Adventist Librarians (ASDAL), 2011-Present
- University of Alberta Library and Information Studies Alumni Association (LISSA), 2011-Present
- Mountain Plains Library Association (MPLA), 2012-2013
- Canadian Library Association (CLA), 2009-2011
- Northern Alberta Health Libraries Association (NAHLA), 2010-2011
- Forum for Library Information Professionals (FIP), 2009-2011
Gillian Connors' previous experience includes working at special libraries including the National Gallery of Canada Library and Archives and the Parkland Regional Library. She has also taught English as a Second Language to children and adults in Seoul, Korea.
Connors, Gillian, Jeannette Wetmore and Sabrina Riley. "Life on the Bleeding Edge: Migrating to WorldShare Management Services." Association of Seventh-Day Adventist Librarians. Walla Walla Univeristy. Walla Walla, WA. 28 June 2013.
- Nebraska Library Association Professional Development Grant Award, 2013
- Jason Lang Scholarship for academic achievement, 2005, 2006, 2007
Gillian has traveled, studied, and worked all over the world. She is a dual citizen of Canada and the United States, and has taken study tours across Western Europe, to both coasts of Canada, and to Ashland, Oregon for the Ashland Oregon Shakespeare Festival. In 2008 she accepted the position to teach English as a Second Language in Seoul, Korea for the Sahmyook Language Institute, and in 2003-2004 she studied French in Collonges-sous-Saleve, France at the Institute de Langue Française. Since moving to Lincoln, she taken advantage of Lincoln's central location and traveled across the US including New York City, Boston, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Portland, Seattle, Walla Walla, Boulder, and Iowa City. When not planning for her next trip you can find her honing her practice of yoga, biking or running the nearby trails, cooking gourmet meals, and enjoying the local arts and culture scene.