The Teaching Learning Center is Union College's academic support and accessibility services provider. The TLC has been serving students since 1978, and its programs continue to grow.
Any student at Union College can receive academic support from the TLC. Our academic coaches help students succeed with focus on time management, organization, test taking, study strategies, and goal setting.
The TLC offers accessibility accommodations to Union students with disabilities. Contact us for more information on documentation guidelines and how to request accommodations.
- Academic and life coaching *
- Study skills assessments *
- Test taking strategies *
- Time management *
- Access to tutoring
- Informal testing for ADD/HD and Learning Disabilities
- Accessibility accommodations for students with disabilities
- Assistive technology
How to Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with any of the TLC staff:
- call (402) 486-2506
- email tlc [at] ucollege [dot] edu
- or stop by our office in the Student Center.
Reasons Why You Might Visit the TLC
- You want to improve your grades and/or test performance.
- You don't feel comfortable talking in class.
- You're attending class regularly but you feel like you're missing important points.
- You feel like you're a slow reader.
- You're having trouble completing tests in the allotted time.
- You're spending hours studying but still not "getting it."
- You feel like you don't have enough time to get everything done.
- You're not sure how to take notes.
- You're easily distracted in class and while studying.
Questions to Ask Your Academic Advisor
Since your academic advisor will be one of your most important guides in college, the first impression you make matters. It is crucial for you to be prepared for your first meeting with your advisor. Maybe you’re not sure what questions to ask or what information you should share about yourself. We have created a document to help you navigate this initial encounter so it will be beneficial to both you and your advisor. Read more.
The Students with Disabilities (SWD) program provides assistance to those students who have verified disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are also provided.
Freshman Development (FD) is a program for first-year freshmen who are accepted into the college with low GPA and/or ACT score(s).
Integrated College Experience (ICE) is a program for students who are accepted into the college with low GPA and/or ACT score(s) and ACT scores in Math or English that fall below admissions criteria.
Meet the Staff
Academic School Year:
Monday - Thursday // 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday // 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
By appointment only. Please call the TLC office at 402.486.2506 or Debbie at 402.486.2600, ext. 2080. You can also send us an email at either tlc [at] ucollege [dot] edu or deforshe [at] ucollege [dot] edu.
The TLC is located in the student center on the second floor of the Don Love building on the Union College campus. Our office is handicap accessible.