Buildings and Landmarks

Click on the map below for a significantly larger version and a map key. Click in the lower right hand corner of the large version for an even larger view.

Campus Map

1. AdventSource

A non-profit company organized as a part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America, AdventSource is headquartered on the Union College campus. They provide resources for local church leaders in the North American Division and around the world. AdventSource is a member of the Church Resource Consortium and partners with other member organizations to develop, produce and market targeted leadership resources in a wide range of ministries.

Andrew Carnegie Building2.  Carnegie Building

Built in 1914 to serve as the library for the town of College View with funds from an Andrew Carnegie grant, the historical Carnegie Building is occupied by Marketing Communications. This department creates and implements promotional materials and handles media and public relations for the college. To view a panoramic video of the Carnegie Building, click here.

Cooper Place apartments3. Cooper Place - Student Housing

4. Kern and Bancroft Apartments - Student Housing


5. College View Academy and Gymnasium


College View Seventh-day Adventist Church6. College View Church

The present College View church building was completed in 1978 and dedicated in 1984. The Austrian-built Rieger Organ fills the sanctuary with glorious praise to God. The stained glass murals depict the sacrificial system from the fall of Adam and Eve to the second advent of Christ. These windows have become a showpiece within the city of Lincoln.

Engel Hall7. Engel Hall

This building is occupied by The Division of Fine Arts, which includes the music and art departments. The west half of the complex was completed in 1947 as Engel Hall, especially designed as the music building. It was named for Carl C. Engel, head of the music department and teacher of violin and cornet for 32 years. Facilities include faculty offices, band and choir rehearsal rooms, piano practice rooms and a recital hall. Many alumni will remember the east half of the building as the library, completed in 1937. By 1966, the library's collection had outgrown the building and an addition was built, joining it with Engel Hall. The art department moved into the building in 1984 when the library moved to its new facility. Art and graphic design students enjoy spacious drawing and painting rooms, pottery, sculpture and stained glass labs, and a Mac lab.

Everett Dick Building8. Everett Dick Administration Building

The Everett Dick Administration Building replaced the original brick College Building in 1975. In 1978, the building was named in honor of Dr. Everett Dick, history professor at Union for nearly 60 years. In the early 1970s, Dr. and Mrs. Dick solicited funds for the new administration building from Union alumni around the country. The Everett Dick Administration Building houses all of the college administrative offices; division offices for religion, humanities, human development, and business and computer science; classrooms; and computer labs. To view panoramic videos of the Everett Dick Building or an amphitheater classroom, click on the links.

The sculpture of the three angels of Revelation was a gift from the class of 1974. The artist was Alan Collins. This sculpture is on the wall on the first floor of the Everett Dick Administration Building.

9. George Stone School


The Thunderdome10. Gymnasium

Sometimes known as the Union College Auditorium and nicknamed the Thunderdome, the gymnasium accommodates physical education classes, intramural games and Saturday night activities for the students and community. The gymnasium is the home of the Warriors, Union's varsity athletic teams. The gymnasium was opened in December 1942, when the students inaugurated it with a roller skating party.

11. Helen Hyatt Elementary School

12. International Rescue and Relief Program

Jorgensen Hall13. Jorgensen Hall

This ivy-covered building, completed in 1946, houses the Division of Science and Mathematics. Dr. Guy C. Jorgensen, for whom the hall is named, was department head and chemistry teacher from 1925 to 1956. In 1967, Dr. Charles E. Plumb, another former science teacher and 1913 graduate, answered a need for more space in the science facilities. He and his wife gave a large sum of money toward the construction of what is now called the Plumb addition. Jorgensen Hall houses specially designed science classrooms and laboratories. Grant funding has provided science students highly technical scientific instruments with which to experiment.

Larson Lifestyle Center14. Larson Lifestyle Center

Don Love Building15. Don Love Building

While the building's function has changed dramatically over its history, it still bears the name of former Lincoln mayor and philanthropist, Don Love, who donated money to build an industrial center at Union College in 1939. An additional gift from Love was again received in 1940 to expand the building so it could house both a broom factory and a furniture factory (neither is still in operation). Other additions to the building came in 1954 and 1984, when major renovation changed the look of the front of the building and added an atrium, joining the two portions of the original building. The library moved into the building in 1984 and was dedicated in memory of Ella Johnson Crandall, an alumna. Other campus spaces within the Don Love Building are the Career Center, Campus Store, Student Center, ASB offices, Teaching Learning Center, Woods Auditorium, Plant Services and NAD-operated AdventSource.

Ortner Center16. Ortner Center

Completed in the beginning of 2004, the Ortner Center is located at the center of campus and brings the added benefits of a 24-hour campus information center, conference meeting space and guestrooms, which are open to the public. Construction involved a rebuilding and expansion of Culver Hall, a men's residence and food service area. This project was made possible through the Alvin Ortner Trust.

Culver Hall, a men's residence within the Ortner Center, is located directly in front of the site of the old South Hall, which burned in 1954. The residence hall is named for Elder Montie Culver, dean of men from 1945 to 1962, and his wife, Rosella.

Union Market
, the dining service area featuring vegetarian cuisine and on-site catering, is open to the public. New facilities include a student lounge and reception area.

The Ortner Center also includes the remodeled McClelland Art Gallery, named for Union College art professor James McClelland who is nationally known for his watercolor paintings of wildlife. The gallery displays visiting art exhibits as well as works of students, faculty and other local artists.

17. Plant Services

Prescott Hall18. Prescott Hall - Men's Residence

Prescott Hall, completed in 1967, accommodates up to 192 men and several guest rooms. The dormitory is named in honor of W. W. Prescott, Union's first president, a giant in the history of Seventh-day Adventist education.

19. Rees Hall - Women's Residence

Rees Hall

Rees Hall, completed in 1958, was named in honor of Miss Pearl L. Rees, dean of women for 25 years. The east wing was added in 1965. Rees Hall can accommodate 300 women and has several guest rooms. Rees Hall also houses a chapel.

20. Sand Volleyball Court

21. Tennis Courts

22. Parking

49'ers Field23. 49ers Field

Campus landmarks and public art


The sculpture of the three angels of Revelation was a gift from the class of 1974. The artist was Alan Collins. This sculpture is on the wall on the first floor of the Everett Dick Administration Building.

Joshua Turner ArboretumArboretum

In the winter of 1890, the Union College locating committee saw only a snowy field and a few scraggly trees. Today we walk on green lawns beneath majestic trees. In April 1981, the campus became an affiliate site of the Nebraska Statewide Arboretum. Named after Union's director of grounds from 1948-1969, the Joshua C. Turner Arboretum contains more than 100 identified species of trees and bushes. View detailed species list and photos.

Bench MonumentBench Monument

The bench monument was built in 1976 to preserve a portion of Union's roots. It was constructed of bricks from the smokestack of the old powerhouse and from the College Building. The College Building's cornerstone, marked with the year 1890, is part of the bench. The words "Union College" on the bench back were located between the second and third floors above the front entrance of the College Building.

Clock TowerClock Tower

The landmark that is the most "Union" of all is the clock tower. Completed in 1971, this 100-foot steel tower stands in the center of campus in front of the administration building. In addition to its function as a landmark and clock, the tower is equipped with carillon chimes that can be heard on campus and in the surrounding neighborhood. The chimes are played following church services and for other special occasions.

The clock tower was not new to the Union College campus when built in 1971. The original clock, placed in the tower atop the old administration building, was a gift from the class of 1922. When the class heard plans for a new administration building, they decided something must be done to ensure the clock tower would remain a prominent landmark of both the college and the Lincoln community. It was through their fundraising efforts and the support of many alumni that the current clock tower became a reality.

At the 50-foot level in the clock tower sits a globe 6 feet in diameter. Edwin Ogden and Sam Reinholtz donated a combined total of 60 hours to construct the globe. It is made of three-fourths inches stainless steel, and its continents are made of anodized aluminum, giving it a gold color.

Golden Cords DisplayGolden Cords Display

The class of 1906 is credited with the origin of a Union tradition that now symbolizes a key component of Union College's mission—joyful service to the world. The class presented the college with a large world map covered with yellow strings connecting the location of Union College to the countries where former students had served or were serving as missionaries. Over the years, the display referred to as "the map and strings" became "the golden cords," and the Hanging of the Golden Cords service became an annual college event. During this Homecoming Weekend service, former and current students who have served as missionaries are honored by having a cord hung for them. A piece of the cord is sent to each missionary as a reminder that "Union College never forgets her own."

The current golden cords display dedicated in 1989 hangs in the lobby of the administration building and includes hundreds of strands representing mission service around the world. Victor Issa, 1980 Union graduate, created the sculpture for the display. The relief world map and campus icons were sculpted from cultured marble and bronze. The oak case was constructed by Don Smith, 1952 Union graduate.

From this gift also came the nickname "College of the Golden Cords." This theme is reflected in numerous aspects of the college including the alumni magazine, CORDmagazine, and the yearbook, Golden Cords

Jean Lang Carlson Memorial

Located on the north wall of the Ortner Center lobby, this sculpture was made possible through gifts honoring Jean Lang Carlson, deceased spouse of alumnus and board member Ron Carlson. The artwork was designed and built by Bohl Ironworks of Jamestown, North Dakota. The owners, Brad and Corey Bohl are both alumni of Union. The sculpture symbolizes how the seeds of learning and faith planted at Union College bear fruit around the world.

Rock Pile

The rock pile, a favorite gathering place for students, is located near the clock tower in the heart of campus. This simple cluster of rocks representing one of Union's first traditions has been the spot for many student discussions, including marriage proposals. Stone placing was common on college campuses during the late 1800s. This tradition made its way to Union with the class of 1896, but the rock pile as we know it actually began two years later.

The class of 1898, determined to outdo other classes, decided to obtain a rock for each student in their class. Each rock would be engraved with a senior's name and placed in a pile around a two-ton rock affectionately named "Mammoth." In 1948 on their 50th anniversary, several members from the class returned to lay a cement foundation and place the scattered stones back into their original shape, creating the current rock pile.