When to Visit the Studio
- You have no clue what to write or speak about
- You have some good ideas but want to bounce them off of someone else
- You know your paper or speech has "issues"
- You are finished, but you think you need another opinion
- You are confused about punctuation, grammar, or pronunciation
- A teacher encourages you to make an appointment
- You would like guidance with research and citing sources
How to Make an Appointment
We welcome walk-in appointments or 30- to 50-minute sessions. Consultations happen in the Studio, Library 116.
What to Bring
- Assignment sheet
- Draft of your paper or speech (if you have one)
- A pencil or pen
- Sources (if you're writing research)
- Any other materials that will help the consultant help you
What You Will Do
- Talk with the consultant
- Read your paper aloud or listen as the consultant reads it aloud; practice your speech with the consultant as the audience
- Ask questions and respond to the consultant's questions and suggestions
- Learn to find and revise your own errors in your papers and oral presentations
What the Consultant Will Do
- Ask questions
- Make suggestions
- Help you identify your strengths and weaknesses
- Help you see options for revision
What the Consultant Will Not Do
- Write your paper or speech for you
- Correct every mistake in your written work (NOTE: Editing is a highly technical skill. Consultants are not trained editors or proofreaders. They can help you find error patterns and teach you how to address them, though.)
- Let you drop off your paper or presentation and pick it up later
Tips for a Successful Consultation
- Come by and see us as soon as you get an assignment
- Come often
- Visit at every stage of the process
- Bring necessary materials
- Plan to spend 30-50 minutes with a peer consultant
- Be committed to your own progress and success
- Be nice to the consultants
Please Remember . . .
- Consultants work with peers on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Students should not expect to work with a consultant more than one session an evening to allow everyone opportunity to take advantage of the Studio's services.