NursingCAS Application Instructions
All applicants are required to complete an online application through the Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS). Please fill out the 3.0 application.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required documents (application, transcripts, references, TEAS score, TOEFL score, policies) have been received and verified by the published deadline.
Fall Admission Deadline: February 1
Spring Admission Deadline: September 1
Please read the instructions listed below carefully before beginning your NursingCAS application. You will need to reference several documents during the completion of your application which include the following:
- All college/university transcripts
- You will need to have copies of your transcripts to use to enter data into the coursework section on the application. In addition, official paper copies of all transcripts must be sent directly to NursingCAS by each high school and college/university attended.
- The names and contact information for two references (one collegiate instructor and one employer)
- A current list of employment, service, and volunteer activities as well as any licenses or certifications.
- A credit card number for payment of the NursingCAS application fee.
- You will also be required to provide your social security number on the application. This information is required by the records office at Union College.
Online NursingCAS Application
The online NursingCAS application requires the receipt and verification of all official high school and college transcripts. This application will require the input of an extensive amount of information and the verification of several documents. We strongly encourage you to submit your application as early as possible, or at least four to six weeks before the published deadline.
- Common Areas of Difficulty:
- Transcripts: You will need to have a copy of your college transcripts so that you can enter course information on the NursingCAS application. You will also need to have all official high school and college/university transcripts sent directly to NursingCAS for verification. To do this, you will print off a specific transcript request form from NursingCAS to send to your high school and college/university. The mailing address for transcripts is provided in the NursingCAS instructions.
- References: You will provide the names and contact information of two references. Your references will receive an email message from NursingCAS that directs them to a recommendation form online. We suggest that you notify your references in advance so that they can look for the e-mail from NursingCAS. Be aware that this message can sometimes end up in a Junk Mail folder. If your reference cannot find the email, you will need to contact NursingCAS and request that they send it again.
- Personal Statement: A personal statement is also required of all applicants. The personal statement should be well-written at the college level and answer the questions in approximately 500 words. Please use the space provided on your NursingCAS application. Do not attach it as a separate document. Your statement should answer the following questions:
- Discuss how you view the nursing profession and how this relates to your calling.
- Describe the most significant contribution you have made to others. How do you think it changed their lives? How did it change your life?
- Describe the most significant event in your life. How has it changed you? How does this change affect your approach to your education?
- Application Fee: The application fee is charged by and paid to NursingCAS. You will need a credit card for payment. Please see the NurisngCAS website for fee details. The Union College Nursing Program does not charge an additional application fee.
If you are reapplying to the Union College Nursing Program, you may use your NursingCAS application for 1 calendar year or two admission cycles (see NursingCAS website for additional details on what sections will carry over). Please update any information that has changed, including licenses, work experience, coursework, and/or criminal history. Applicants who reapply using their previous application must complete the following:
- Provide an updated personal statement that addresses your experiences since you last applied.
- Provide/reenter information for references.
- Update any coursework taken since your original application. Official transcripts reflecting this coursework must also be sent directly to NursingCAS for verification.
- It is important that you follow the application directions provided by NursingCAS and that you monitor the progress of your application’s status. You have access to NursingCAS customer service support, and please contact them for questions related to your online application. They can be reached by phone at 617.612.2880, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, EST or by email at nursingcasinfo [at] nursingcas [dot] org.
- NursingCAS will communicate with you through email. If something is missing from your application or you have not reported something correctly, they will contact you via email, so check it often. Remember, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required documents have been received and verified by the published deadline.