Annual Notification to Students
EDUCATION RECORDS POLICY
ANNUAL NOTIFICATION TO STUDENTS
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA),
Student: any person who is, or has been, enrolled and attends/attended the college.
Education records: any record maintained by the college which is directly related to a
student, with the following exceptions:
1. Personal records kept by the college employees which are in
the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or
revealed to any other person;
2. Employment records unless the employment records are contingent on the fact that the employee is a student;
3. Records maintained by Campus Security solely for law enforcement purposes.
4. Records maintained by Counseling or Student Health.
5. Pastoral counseling records maintained by the college Chaplain.
6. Alumni records.
Procedure to Inspect Education Records
Students may inspect and review their education records upon request to the appropriate record custodian. Students should submit in writing their request which identifies as precisely as possible the records they wish to inspect. The custodian will make the needed arrangements for access as promptly as possible and will notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. Access will be allowed no more than 45 days after receipt of the written request. When a record contains information about more than one student, the student may inspect and review ONLY the records that relate to him or her.
Right of the College to Refuse Access
The college reserves the right to refuse to permit a student to inspect the following records:
1. The financial statement(s) of the student’s parent(s).
2. Letters and statements of recommendation.
3. Records connected with an application to attend the college if that application was denied or the student never attended Union College.
4. Education records containing information about more than one student, in which case the college will permit access only to that part of the record which pertains to the inquiring student.
5. Those records which are excluded from the FERPA definition of education records.
Location, types and Custodians of Education Records:
Right of the College to Refuse to Provide Copies
To withhold disclosure, students must submit in person a written notification to the Records Office (forms available on the Records Office’s web site). Directory information will then be withheld indefinitely until the Records Office receives in writing a revocation of the request for nondisclosure.
Regardless of the effect upon the student, the institution assumes no liability as a consequence of honoring instructions that directory information be withheld. The college assumes that failure on the part of the student to request specifically the withholding of directory information indicates approval for disclosure.