Are you ready to serve?
Many Union College students choose to take a gap year away from campus to continue their educations in strikingly different contexts, exploring both what it means to serve and lead. Wherever you go, whatever you find to do, international volunteers and task force workers shares two traits when they return: they've learned to see the world differently, and they understand themselves more deeply.
Pick up and turn in a pre-application in Campus Ministries (located in the first floor of the Everett Dick Building). A student missions director will contact you and coach you through the rest of the application process from there. Contact the missions directors at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Who can be a Student Missionary?
- You must be a baptized member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church (this applies to all calls through the General Conference)
- You must be a mature adult, able to handle responsibility and be adaptable, flexible, and open-minded.
- You must past screening with the Deans' Council and Student Missions Committee.
- It is important that you have a growing, stable relationship with God. Keep in mind that we know that no person is perfect in their walk with Christ, but being an SM is not a good place to go to FIND God but it's a great place go to build your growing relationship with Him that already exists.
Do I get to choose my location?
Yes, you have the option to choose from hundreds of SM positions that are available.
What kinds of opportunities are available?
- Serving in an orphanage
- Church planting
- Women’s or men’s dean
- Construction worker
- Youth chaplain or youth pastor
- Medical missions
- Lay evangelism
- Many more …
Can I be a Student Missionary in the United States or Canada?
Yes, there are opportunities right here at home. They are referred to as “task force” workers. The application process is the same, but there is no fundraising for TF positions.
How do I find the locations for missions opportunities?
Listed below are several websites that post mission opportunities. Due to liability issues and concern for your well-being, your mission location must meet our specific guidelines. If not listed below, please contact us to see if it will qualify:
- GC Volunteer Site: www.hesaidgo.net
- Adventist Frontier Missions: www.afmonline.org
- Outpost Centers International: www.outpostcenters.org
- Reach International: www.reach.org
What do I do when I find a place I want to serve?
Go to the application process link and follow those instructions.
How much does it cost to be a Student Missionary?
Each student missionary is required to raise $3,600 for most calls through the GC. Some GC calls that come from organizations with special needs, other organizations, like AFM, and REACH are more expensive. We can give you more specific details in Campus Ministries.
What kind of training is involved with potential SMs and TFs?
Yes, every SM is required to go through orientation. There are two options for completing this. 1.) Union offers an SM Orientation class second semester or 2.) Online course through www.hesaidgo.net.
What if I have loans that need to be deferred?
If you go through our screening process and are accepted as a Union College volunteer, you will receive academic credit which keeps your loans deferred while you are gone.
What about Health Insurance?
Secondary insurance is provided by the calling organization or purchased through the General Conference by the volunteer.
More questions? Come see Ivy, Austin or Pastor Rich in Campus Ministries or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chantelle Bravatti - Philippines
- Claudia Bauermeister - Zambia
- Elyssa Petrik - Marshall Islands
- Jessica Bovey - Marshall Islands
- Madison Kamarad - Philippines
- Marcus Tan - Philippines
- Ryan Haakenson - Philippines
- Sheldon Ramos - Philippines
- Torie Palmer - Bolivia
- Alex Jensen - Hawaii
- Bethania Helmer - Auburn Adventist Academy
- Marveen Gentillon - Hawaii
In an attempt to keep an accurate list of international volunteers who have gone out from Union College, we have compiled a list of everyone we know who has served overseas during their Union experience. If you find a mistake or omission please contact Pastor Rich.