Biography of Gillian Connors
I seek ways to bring innovation and creativity to the library through outreach and special programming. Recently I've enjoyed collaborating with the Good Neighbor Community Center and Union’s Center for Interfaith Studies and Culture to provide community wide programs encouraging discussions on topics represented in the Muslim Journeys Bookshelf grant award. I have also enjoyed coordinating the past two library fairs including creating a QR Code Scavenger hunt to link online and physical resources including our digital archives.
I am the liasion librarian for multiple subject areas on campus in addition to overseeing all cataloging and acquisitions. As liasion librarian, I perform collection development, reference, information literacy instruction, and maintenance of online subject guides for Health and Human Performance, Psychology, Education, Sociology, Social Work, Graduate Education (La Sierra), the Career Center and the Teaching Learning Center. I also frequently provide information literacy instruction in English Literature and Communication classes.
As acquisitions librarian, I oversee the book budget for each subject area on campus. I find, order, and negotiate prices for all books and media materials from multiple vendors. Each month I share budget reports with faculty and solicit requests for materials across campus. In addition I promote these new acquisitions by creating physical and virtual book displays.
A new books display is updated every week, and two themed displays are updated monthly. Each themed display is created to highlight a collection in the library, to support campus academics, or grants. They are promted through the library's social media networks including Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and often feature creative posters.
As cataloging librarian I make sure all books, DVDs, audiobooks and other materials are organized and easily locatable within the library. I update and create all copy and original catalog records for for the Union College Library and the Lincoln Lancaster County Genealogical Society. I also make sure all our physical checkout items are in good repair, remove items as necessary,and receive, and organize donations.
Masters of Library and Information Studies, University of Alberta, 2011
Bachelors of Art in English (French Minor), Canadian University College, 2007
English 931: The Victorian Novel, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2013
Novel Next Draft Workshop, 2012 Iowa Summer Writing Festival, University of Iowa, 2012
Understanding and Applying Dewey Decimal Classification, American Library Association, 2012
Academic and Community Service
- Communications Secretary, Faculty Senate Executive Committee, Union College (UC), 2013-Present
- Grant Reviewer, College & University Grants Committee, Nebraska Library Association, 2012-Present
- Chair, Colloquium Committee, UC, 2014-Present (Member from 2012)
- Library Fair & Book Display Coordinator, Bridging Cultures: Muslims Journeys Planning Committee, UC, 2012-2014
- Recording Secretary, Cataloger's Group, Nebraska Independent College Library Consortium, 2012-2013 (Member from 2011)
- Library Calling Champion, Quest for Calling Grant, UC, 2013-Present
- Member, Technical Services Roundtable (TSRT), Nebraska Library Association, 2012-Present
- Member, Faculty Instructional Technology Subcommittee (FITS), UC, 2013-Present
- Member, Wellness Committee, UC, 2013-Present
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), 2012-Present
- Nebraska Library Association (NLA), 2011-Present
- Association of Seventh-Day Adventist Librarians (ASDAL), 2011-Present
- University of Alberta Library and Information Studies Alumni Association (LISSA), 2011-Present
- Mountain Plains Library Association (MPLA), 2012-2013
- Canadian Library Association (CLA), 2009-2011
- Northern Alberta Health Libraries Association (NAHLA), 2010-2011
- Forum for Library Information Professionals (FIP), 2009-2011
Gillian Connors' previous experience includes working at special libraries including the National Gallery of Canada Library and Archives and the Parkland Regional Library. She has also taught English as a Second Language to children and adults in Seoul, Korea.
Connors, Gillian, Jeannette Wetmore and Sabrina Riley. "Life on the Bleeding Edge: Migrating to WorldShare Management Services." Association of Seventh-Day Adventist Librarians. Walla Walla Univeristy. Walla Walla, WA. 28 June 2013.
- Nebraska Library Association Professional Development Grant Award, 2013
- Jason Lang Scholarship for academic achievement, 2005, 2006, 2007
Gillian has traveled, studied, and worked all over the world. She is a dual citizen of Canada and the United States, and has taken study tours across Western Europe, to both coasts of Canada, and to Ashland, Oregon for the Ashland Oregon Shakespeare Festival. In 2008 she accepted the position to teach English as a Second Language in Seoul, Korea for the Sahmyook Language Institute, and in 2003-2004 she studied French in Collonges-sous-Saleve, France at the Institute de Langue Française. Since moving to Lincoln, she taken advantage of Lincoln's central location and traveled across the US including New York City, Boston, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Portland, Seattle, Walla Walla, Boulder, and Iowa City. When not planning for her next trip you can find her honing her practice of yoga, biking or running the nearby trails, cooking gourmet meals, and enjoying the local arts and culture scene.