It's April 14; Good Morning Union
“Let us go with you, because we have heard that God is with you.” Zechariah 8:23
I ‘proved’ to myself again this morning that even the most obscure books in the Bible are RICH with insights and spiritual blessings. I have to admit, on my journey through my one-book-from-the-Bible-per-day, all of them do NOT have the same level of interest for me! Zechariah WAS one of those books. A Levite priest, born in Babylonian captivity, started his ministry about 16 years after the Jews returned to Jerusalem, challenged the lethargy of Israel who had become discouraged by the “foreigners” in their land when they returned and had quit rebuilding the temple. Anyone interested in finding a spiritual lesson?!
Well, I found a LOT of them! I’ll try to be brief!
1. “Whoever touches you touches the apple of His eye!” 2:8 Don’t mess with God’s kids!
2. “Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty.” 4:4 I remembered an old “praise song” from my era and sang it again this morning as a powerful reminder that it’s NOT me, it’s HIM, that gives victory.
3. “When I called, they did not listen, so when they called, I would not listen.” 7:13 Maybe a reason for my prayers not getting answered!?
4. “These are the things you are to do:
a. Speak truth
b. Render true and sound judgment
c. Do not plot evil against your brother
d. Do not love to swear falsely.” 8:16 Pretty basic stuff that it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of.
5. “In those days men from all languages and nations will take firm hold of one Jew by the edge of his robe and say, ‘Let us go with you, because we have heard that God is with you.’” 8:23 I really liked this picture! This is real witnessing and evangelism rolled up into one. It can become so obvious that ‘God is with me’ that people grab me by my coat tails and beg to follow me. That would be pretty cool!
6. And THIS was the clincher—“On that day HOLY TO THE LORD will be inscribed (on all the parts of the temple that they were building.) My visual imaging of this text moved quickly from the actual temple in Jerusalem to the fact that God calls me (and you) to be His “temple.” So I asked myself- What would happen to my life if EVERY part of my “temple” was inscribed with the phrase HOLY TO THE LORD, and my life reflected that everything I am has been, not just verbally but visibly, dedicated to the Lord. I think people would be grabbing for my coat tails asking to follow; I think I would be doing what God asks, and listening intently to His words; remembering that it’s HIS Spirit that guides and give victory in my life; and it’s ALL because I’m the ‘apple of His eye!’ (and so are you!)
Have a great day learning lessons from “old people” (and Old Testament prophets!)
Quote for the day: “When you hit ‘rock-bottom’ don’t forget, at the bottom, there’s the Rock.” Jonathan Burnett
PS PA Bible Study @ 8:30am with Janessa.
PPS Religion Roundtable @ 7pm in the Shawnee-Porter Room (above Ortner), sponsored by the Union College Center for Interfaith Studies and Culture. Come hear panelists discuss the scriptures of the Christian, Buddhist, Islam and Hindu traditions and their place within their religions.