“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him.” Colossians 2:6
And, how do I do that? If it’s important to God, it’s clear in His word! It must be important because here’s what Paul says:
- “rooted and built up IN HIM”
- “strengthened in faith as you were taught”
- “overflowing with thankfulness”
- “and don’t let anyone take you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophies.”
Four “conditions” to continuing to “live in Him… just as you received Him.” If I want to stay connected to Jesus--
- I need to be sure I am rooted in Him, meaning to me that I must intentionally make choices that ground me in what He says is best, rooted deeply in His ways so nothing can dislodge me.
- I need to practice trusting Him rather than myself or the things of this world that suggest that if I make them my anchor point I will come through stronger than with Jesus.
- I need to have an attitude of thankfulness, not only to God but to those in my life who help me in the discipline of #s 1 and 2.
- I need to be careful that I am not deceived by philosophies in life that are contrary to God.
#4 must be a very significant part of the process because Paul took the time to describe what he meant by “hollow and deceptive philosophies”:
- “they depend on human traditions”
- “they focus on the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ”
So if I want to “continue” in Christ (and I do!) then I am equipped now with some helpful tools to accomplish that goal. I need to take time to continue planting myself in Him through His word (that’s called devotions), practice consciously trusting God rather than myself (that’s called attentiveness), having a thankful heart (that’s called gratefulness) , and being conscious of who and what I listen to so that I’m lead to depend on anything or anyone other than Jesus (that’s called wisdom!)
So have a great day continuing in Jesus,