November 20, 2013
“The Lord your God is with you…” Zephaniah 3:17
Not the most read book in the Bible but wow, what a verse of promise and hope; and what a picture of God! “The Lord your God is with you, He is might to save.” It’s about the “promise” of His perpetual presence, and the “hope” in His ability to offer me eternal life. And then brother Zeph painted three pictures of God for me this morning:
- “He will take great delight in you”
- “He will quiet you with his love”
- “He will rejoice over you with singing”
- My picture of God includes someone whose face shows great delight when He looks at me. I see a “happy” and “delightful” face when I look at my God. This is not some standoffish and aloof deity, but a personally affectionate God who finds great delight in me, whether I deserve it or not.
- My picture of God includes someone who kindly and quietly comforts me, sooths my stress, removes my anxieties, and relieves my pressures, ALL through His unintimidating and peaceful way. He is not a just a Lion, He’s a Lamb!
- And my picture of God includes someone who sings. And not just sings, but sings happy praise-type songs of rejoicing- about ME! My favorite songs, especially the praise songs that I have come to be so blessed by, are the ones that are directed TO God and not just ABOUT God, because I can just close my eyes and sing them back to God like a prayer. But God’s favorite songs are about ME!! He “rejoices over ME with songs!” That’s what it says so that’s what I believe!
So there’s my picture of God this morning- A happy God, quietly soothing my troubles, and singing praise songs-- about me!! How can I help but love Him and serve Him in return!
Have a great day enjoying that God,
P.S. Hour of Power this week will be in the church @ 7pm in the Heritage Room with Pastor Ron. All are welcome.
Quote for the day: “Growing in faith is less about making more promises TO God, and more about believing more promises FROM God.” -Joel Thomas