This checklist is to help international students navigate the forms from applying to Union College to the first day on campus. Download the international checklist.
Step 1: How to get accepted to Union College
- Application (online)
- Send academic records
- Submit an official secondary school transcript, secondary school completion certificate, national exam certificate or college or university transcript—whichever applies. If the documents are not in English, obtain a certified translation. All transcripts from international universities must be sent to www.wes.org or aacrao.org for credit evaluation.
- Submit English proficiency test scores (students whose first language is not English must score one of the following minimums):
- 5.5 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS)
- 60 on the TOEFL iBT (computer based)
- 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Step 2: How to get an I-20 student visa
- Submit affidavit of support form (pdf)
- Complete the affidavit of support to demonstrate your ability to cover costs of tuition, room, board, books and fees for your course of study.
- Submit bank statements
- Submit a copy of your parents' or sponsors' bank statement to show proof of sufficient income to support you during your course of study.
- Pay international confirmation deposit
- Union College requires a $5,000 deposit before issuing an I-20, of which $4,000 will be immediately applied to your student account. The remaining $1,000 is held as a deposit and applied to your student account upon completion of your program or withdrawal. The entire deposit wil be refunded if you do not enroll. Funds may be paid online at www.ucollege.edu/pay (select "international confirmation deposit") or wired to Union College (see instructions here).
Step 3: Final Requirements (after acceptance)
- Get a student visa
- When you receive your I-20, make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in your home country to apply for a student visa. You must pay the SEVIS fee before making the appointment (www.ice.gov/sevis).
- Get financially cleared
- Finish your financial steps under the "To Do" tab on "My Financial Aid" on your Portal account (instructions emailed to you after acceptance). Make your first month's payment at www.ucollege.edu/pay.
- Submit housing form here
- Reserve your residence hall room and help select the best roommate for you.
- Submit personal health history here.
- Scan and email medical exam form (pdf) and your immunization records to Student Health studenthealth [at] ucollege [dot] edu (here) or fax: 1.402.486.2564.
- Student Medical Insurance form (PDF)
New Student Orientation
Watch your email for information about New Student Orientation and arriving on campus!