Student Health


studenthealth [at] (Tammy Adams, RN)

Studenthealth [at]




Minor Illness and Injuries

The Student Health Office provides assistance for minor injuries or illnesses such as colds, sore throats, rashes, intestinal flu, and sinus problems. Some immunizations are given. You can get assistance with arrangements for immunizations for foreign travel. 

Location and Hours

The Student Health Office is located in the southwest corner of the basement of the Dick Building, Room 06.  Health office hours listed below are for the academic year only and are closed during all vacations per the Union Collge school calendar. 

Monday - Thursday: 9:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Friday 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Holidays and Breaks: Closed
Phone Extension: 2554
Fax: 402.486.2564
Athletic Trainer Jordan Bart
Trainer Hours 8:30-9:00 a.m. no appointment needed

The Registered Nurse, Tammy Adams, is normally in the office during these hours.  Please feel free to come during this time with your questions and needs.  If the nurse is unable to help you and it is necessary for you to see a health care provider, arrangements can be made through Student Health for an appointment.  If you cannot come to the office during one of these times, please feel free to contact the nurse to make other arrangements.

Student Health Assistants

Student Health Assistants (nursing students) are on call when the health office is closed to provide minor assistance with your health needs. This year they are:

  • Megan Corney (Women's)
  • Georgia Russell (Women's)
  • Lyndsey Cowin (Women's)
  • Katie Struckman (Women's)
  • Matthew Simpson (Men's)

If you wish to see a Student Health Assistant (SHA) for over-the-counter medications or assistance, you can call and leave a message on their voicemail. They will try to get back with you as soon as they are able. If you need the contact information of the on-duty Student Health Assistant, call the front desk of a dormitory. Please use consideration and do not call after 10:00 p.m. unless it is really necessary.  If there is an emergency, notify the dean on duty.  If it is a life threatening emergency, call 911.

Additional Medical Assistance

A physician will be on campus on Wednesday and Friday mornings from 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.  to see students, with no charge for an office visit. See the nurse to set an appointment.

If this time does not work with you and you need to see a physician, Linc Care is located at 3910 Village Drive (south of 40th and Old Cheney). They expect payment at the time of service unless you have your insurance card. They are open Monday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m and Sunday noon-9:00 p.m. They usually accept Blue Cross and the school insurance. Urgent Care is located at 4210 Pioneer Wood Drive, Suite A (close to 70th and Pioneer Blvd). They are open 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Monday - Friday and 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 

If you need to go to the emergency room for orthopaedic injuries, the doctors at Nebraska Orthopaedic work with Saint Elizabeth Hospital. There are also emergency services at BryanLGH East and BryanLGH West.

Linc Care, 3910 Village Dr. 434-7383 (south of 40th & Old Cheney)

  • Mon.-Sat.: 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
  • Sun: Noon - 9:00 p.m.

 Urgent Care Clinic, 488-4321 (72nd & Pioneers)                  

  • Mon.-Fri.: 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
  • Sat. & Sun.: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.

Saint Elizabeth Emergency Room
555 South 70th Street (orthopaedic injuries)

BryanLGH East Emergency Room
1600 South 48th Street

BryanLGH West Emergency Room
2300 South 16th Street

Class Excuses

Written excuses or a sick list for class absence due to minor illnesses will not be provided by the Student Health Office. You should make individual arrangements with your teachers when absent from classes. If you cannot reach them, you can leave a message on their voice mail or send an email. When a serious illness occurs and you are absent three or more days, or hospitalization is required, the nurse will (upon your request) help to document that the class absence was medically necessary. If you see a physician and miss a class, you should get a written excuse from the doctor.


For those who are not insured with your family, student insurance is with Consolidated Health Plans (CHP) and the Preferred Provider Organization is with First Health Network. If you need to visit a doctor, you should check with the school nurse to find which providers are in this network or go to or call 1-800-226-5116. There is a $250 deductible. LincCare, Urgent Care Clinic and all the Lincoln hospitals accept the school insurance. A claim form MUST be completed and sent to the insurance company. Claim forms are available at the link above or the following locations:  Student Health Office, Dick Building, Room 06, the box on the health office door, or at the Student Services office.

Prescription benefits are included in the plan with CHP.  To find a prescription drug provider go to or call 800-248-1062.There is a $25 co-pay for generic prescriptions and a $50 co-pay for brand name medications. Insurance will then pay 80 percent of the cost. Special consideration should be given to the $4 generic med program available at Wal-Mart and Hy-Vee. You can ask the prescriber if one of those is an option. Always take your insurance card with you before you go for medical services.  If you have lost your card you can get a copy from Teresa Peterson at Student Services.

Questions regarding your insurance see Tammy Adams (DB06) or Teresa Peterson (DB104) for assistance.


All full-time students (12 or more credit hours) are insured automatically under a accident policy during the school year. This is supplemental accident insurance in which payment will be made up to $1000.00 per injury.  First submit any bills to your primary insurance company. Get an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from the primary company and submit it with a claim form and any remaining bills to the school insurance.

Sports and Orthopedic Injuries

Jordan Bart, an athletic trainer from Nebraska Orthopaedic, will be in the Health Office on Thursday mornings from 8:30 a.m.- 9:00 a.m. for evaluation and assistance with sports injuries.

Counseling Services

The services of a licensed professional counselor, Lorie Escobar, are available. Call 402-540-2354 to set up an appointment. Stan Hardt is also available for career and general counseling at ext. 2540 or 2094